The Challenge

Here is the challenge: to read the Bible in 90 days, sounds daunting, but not really if you look at the reading plan. If you're Bible was say 1790 pages long, which apparently some are, that's only 20 pages a day. So doable. :)

So here's the plan, set to embark this Saturday, June 19. I encourage you to join me. Here's the little tagline from Steven Furtick and Elevation church.

"B90X is a revolutionary system of intense, truth-absorbing,
brain-busting Bible reading that will transform your
understanding of Scripture from intro to nitro in just 90 days!
Your personal trainer, Ruach "The Breath" Yahweh, will drag you
through the most intense infusion of His vision that you have
ever experienced and you won't believe the results!"

My plan is to read and journal and I'd love to share with anyone who'd like to join me.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 56: Jeremiah 23:9-33

So this is not the Bible in 90 days, but I'm continuing through.  Maybe my next go round will be 90 days.  I'm going to read through the Message next as I'm sticking to my wee NIV right now.

I don't know how anyone can say that the God in the Old Testament is a God of wrath.  They haven't read Jeremiah.  Don't get me wrong, he is wrathful here, but there is so much compassion, so much aching and longing, so much mercy.

I love God.  I do.  He is just, no doubt, but he is also soooooo good.

He rages against the false prophets, but doesn't he have a right?  Hello, they've helped contribute to His people's failings and lostness.  He rages against Israel and Judah and the nations (aka the world), but again, these are a people who have turned against him and sought their own measure of justice and right.  They have killed and murdered in their own names and caused needless sufferings.  My goodness, life is so much better if you seek God first - something I have to learn over and over and over.  Yes, God foretells and brings about wrath and judgment and justice, BUT he is full of love and mercy.  Why?

He does not abandon His people, the Israelites.  Throughout these chapters, God says again and again, "I will be there God and they will be my people."  If that is not a loving, caring, longing father/parent, I don't know what is.  He gives them truth - this punishment will come, but he also gives them hope - lives, marry, learn, grow because I'm bringing you back!

Not only will Israel be his people, but all nations will be blessed because of them.  God will fulfill his promise to David and to the Levites (God is so COOL!), check out Jeremiah 33:17-18.

I leave you with these words from Jeremiah 29:10-14.  Take them to heart dear ones.

This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place.  For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."

No comments:

Post a Comment